FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 3/4 cups super fine blanched almond flour , plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons powdered monk fruit sweetener
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1/3 cup cold grass-fed butter (can sub with ghee for strict Paleo)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large egg
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 cup unsalted grass-fed butter
- 1 cup golden monk fruit sweetener
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 large eggs , at room temperature
- 2 cups roughly chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup half pecans for the topping
For the crust
Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, powdered monk fruit, salt, butter and coconut oil in a food processor and pulse / process until large pea sized crumbs appear. Add the egg, then pulse again, until dough forms and comes together. Add more almond flour (1-2 tablespoons at a time) as needed, if dough seems too wet.
Gather the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill dough ball in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, or up to 2 days.
Once the dough is ready, roll between two sheets of parchment paper into a large circle big enough to cover a regular 9-inch pie dish.
Lay over the pie dish and press into the bottom and the sides of the pan. Trim & flute edges and use any leftovers for cutting out festive shapes, if desired. Carefully pierce holes in the surface using a fork to prevent bubbling and place the pan in the freezer while you preheat the oven and you’re ready to prepare the filling.
Make the Filling:
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Remove the pie pan from the refrigerator and par-bake the crust for 15 minutes or until very light golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Brown Butter – have all the ingredients ready to go as the butter can burn very quickly
Heat butter in a large heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly. Once the butter starts boiling, continue whisking until you see brown bits starting to form at the bottom of pan as you are whisking. Remove the pan immediately from the heat and turn heat off. Whisk in the golden monk fruit sweetener until combined. Add almond butter, coconut milk, sea salt and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
Allow the sauce to cool slightly. Once cool, slowly whisk in the eggs until combined.
Stir in the chopped pecans and pour into the par-baked crust.
Arrange pecan halves on top to design of your liking.
Cover the crust edges with a pie shield or aluminum foil to prevent burning. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until center is nearly set (still a bit jiggly) and crust is deep golden brown.
Allow to cool completely at room temperature for at least 1 hour before slicing. If making ahead, wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- The edges of the pie crust will be slightly darker than a traditional pie crust from the almond and coconut flour
- Keep your eyes closely watching while browning butter and have all your ingredients for the filling ready to go since the browned butter can burn quickly