Low carb, Keto, Gluten Free Cheesy Crackers. These homemade crackers are easy, ready in about 30 minutes, and make a great snack.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes | Cook Time: 10 Minutes | Total Time: 30 Minutes | Servings: 28 Servings (140 Crackers)
- 2 cups shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup superfine almond flour
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add cheeses and then almond flour. Make sure the almond flour covers the cream cheese. Place a paper towel over the bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds or until cheese is bubbly. Be careful to not heat the cheese too long or it will start to burn.
- Stir mixture until uniform. You should have a smooth dough ball.
- Allow mixture to cool a few minutes until it is no longer hot, just warm to the touch.
- Add in egg. If you add in the egg while the dough is hot, it will cook the egg, which is why you need to let the dough cool slightly. Stir in egg until it is evenly blended into the dough.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on pastry board or flat surface you will be using to roll out your dough. Place dough ball on top of parchment paper. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough as thinly as possible. (about 1mm thick) The thinner the dough, the crispier the cracker.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut dough into 1-inch squares.
- Place squares on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes. The dough will still be very pale, this is okay. Flip crackers over and bake another 5 minutes or until crackers are golden and crispy.
- Allow crackers to cool slightly before eating. Keep uneaten crackers stored in airtight container in fridge. Reheat in oven to re-crisp crackers.
- To roll out the dough, you will need two sheets of parchment paper. The dough should be placed on top of one and then another sheet of parchment paper goes on top of the dough. This will prevent the dough from sticking to the rolling pin.
- Roll your dough out as thinly as possible. The thinner your dough is, the crispier your crackers will be. If you prefer something more puffy and not as crispy, you can make your dough a little thicker (around 2mm).
- Use a pizza cutter to cut dough into 1 inch squares. I found a pizza cutter works much better than a knife.
- The recipe below is for the basic cheese cracker. However, you can also add herbs and spices to make different flavors. For example, dried herbs like rosemary, parsley, oregano, can be added directly into the dough. You can also add chili pepper, ground pepper, for a little spice.
Serving: 5 Cracker | Calories: 52kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 58mg | Potassium: 11mg | Vitamin A: 75iu | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 0.2mg | Net Carbs: 1g